Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Home for the Holidays-Santa Hat Tree Topper Tutorial

One more day until December! Then the festivities will begin in this household! I am having a girls night in tomorrow night where we will be doing two different crafts and just hanging out. I can't wait!
I have been trying to put a few finishing touches on the house before tomorrow. I thought I would put a houndstooth hat on top of the hub's tree in the office, but being the cheap-o that I am, I decided to make a topper.The hubs suggested I make a Santa hat. Such a smarty he is:o)
So that's what I did.
Here is a quick tutorial on how to make your own Santa hat.
Start out with your choice of fabric for the body, fuzzy fabric for the pouf at the end and for the trim around the rim of the hat, and a Styrofoam ball.
 I had to add these pics in here...Scosche was spazzing while I was cutting the fabric...do you think he got weirded out over the fuzzy fabric:o)
 Isn't he such a sweetie?
 Back to business:o)
I folded the fabric in half and cut at an angle. The base of my hat is 20".
 The length is 16.25". There was no rhyme or reason for those measurements...that's just how I ended up cutting it...just a side note. I didn't cut the top into a point. I cut it with a blunt edge. There needs to be room at the top to slide the fabric covering the ball into.
 Next lay your foam ball in the center of the fluffy fabric.
 Wrap fabric around ball, like so...and cut, making sure to leave enough fabric to hold onto.
 For the hat, put right sides of fabric together and stitch a 1/2" seam. Leave the end open so that the fluffy fabric with the ball inside will have a place to go.
 Tie the fabric off really tight that is holding the ball and slide it through the top of the hat. Using a really tough upholstery needle, stitch the pouf(fluffy ball) to the top of the hat. 
 There will be excess fabric, so trim that off.
Like this.
 This particular fabric doesn't fray, which is fantastic because there is no need for hemming! For the brim of the hat, I cut a 3" wide strip of fluffy fabric.. You will need to measure the brim of your hat to make sure of the exact length...making sure to add enough for a seam allowance. 
Stitch the ends of the fluffy strip together.
 Then stitch the band around the edge of the hat making sure that right sides are together.
 And voila..you have your very own Santa hat tree topper.
 Easy peasy:o)
 I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday.
I look forward to sharing all the fun things we are doing for the month of December, so stay tuned!!!


Participating Here:

2 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Very Nice! Such a cute addition to the tree. Love the piece of furniture the tree is next to, too!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I love it! And those red thingys (sorry I am so not crafty, I have no idea what they are called) are gorgeous!
Shannon